Friday, October 28, 2011

Dragon Tears

I wrote this a little over a year ago, and I mentioned it to Jake last night so I figured I'd post it here.


I recently purchased a bag of so-called "accent gems," just because of the memories they brought back. They're these little round blue gems. I've always called them dragons' tears. I found one once in my friend's backyard, and her older sister told me that if someone finds a dragon's tear, that meant there was a dragon who was admiring that person from where they lived, and was crying because they couldn't be together. She told me a story which I have unfortunately forgotten bits and pieces of, so I'm embellishing it a little bit. But it's basically the same story. 

The dragons once lived among us humans. They would watch over the children of the world like guardian angels and play with them. They would help the women with their cooking and with finding edible plants. Then the men discovered how nice dragon flesh tasted. The women and children pleaded with the men not to kil the dragons, but the hunters would not be reasoned with. The dragons immediately fled the area, planning to stay away until the men could be persuaded to not eat them. 
The dragons did not come out from hiding very often, and so over time, people began believing that they were merely a myth. Those who did still believe had become convinced by their ancestors that dragons were horrible creatures to be slaughtered and eaten. So the dragons left the earth to live in another realm. Many of them were homesick, so the king of the dragons ordered his spellcasters to create a pool that the dragons could look through to watch over the humans. Sometimes, the male dragons, especially the young ones, will see a girl that they admire, and often fall in love with. When a dragon falls in love with a human, it's not like when humans fall in love. Dragons fall in love selflessly. All they want is for the human to be safe and happy. The dragon will become glued to the pool like so many of our kind become glued to the tv screen and begin to cry. Dragons do not cry as we do. Their tears are rarely existent, and when they are, they become solid the second they drip off of the dragon's scales. Sometimes, if a tear falls just right, it slips through the pool and is found by the one whom the dragon admires.
The story was once told to a woman a long time ago. There was a dragon who was so in love with this woman and such an adept spellcaster that he was able to visit her in her dreams and he told her the history of the dragons. He told her that if enough people knew the true story, and not what the hunters passed along, that the king might allow the dragons to once again roam the earth, and they could be together. The woman spread the story, but unfortunately she died before the dragons could be returned to earth. Still to this day, the real history of the dragons is not well known enough for them to feel safe returning. Those of us who believe try to pass this story along as much as we can, in hopes that one day, at least our children's 
children will play with the dragons again.
I believe. I found the dragon's tear from so long ago, and compared it to the ones I bought. If I am not mistaken, they are made of completely different substances. In fact, the old dragon's tear doesn't seem to be made of the same substance as anything I have... 
It's nice to think that there's a dragon in love with me.

To clarify: I do whole-heartedly believe in dragons. I may not believe this story in particular anymore, and I no longer believe that dragons' tears are ever like the accent gems, but I believe dragons exist. Also, the story is what was told to me, and I did buy accent gems the day I wrote this, but the original dragon's tear is long gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment