Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day Leap Day Leap Day :D

"You’re arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare."
-Hazel Grace, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
I love Leap Day. I really have no reason other than the fact that it only comes every four years. Also, have you ever seen Leap Year? It was an amazing movie for me. A chick flick that took place in Ireland: Best thing ever! 

On the topic of Leap Year... so there's this Irish tradition that the movie is based on. It's rumored that a long time ago, St. Bridget complained to St. Patrick that the men of Ireland were complete wusses who wouldn't propose and that it wasn't fair to make the ladies of Ireland wait for them to acquire balls (I'm sure that's not how she put it, but it's the way I think of it). St. Patrick eventually gave in and said once every four years (Leap Day, specifically), women could propose to men. According to the movie, the guy couldn't say no. According to the real legend, the guy either had to say yes, give the lady twelve pairs of gloves, or give the lady a silk gown and a kiss. 

I'll tell anyone who'll listen that I'm more Irish than anything else. And my friend Neil who I've liked since our freshman year is also Irish. So I figured I'd tweak the tradition a little bit and tell him I liked him. I meant to do it in person, but I was too sick to go to school today. So as soon as school let out, I started texting him. After the intial "how are you?" and "anything of importance happen today?" texts, I told him I had something to tell him. 

-I like you. 
(a few minutes later) But if you don't like me, that's totally okay. 
-Actually, I was going to ask you out on a date next time I saw you in person. 


Song of the Day:

No comments:

Post a Comment