Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Dating Rules from my Future Self

Usually around the time I get sick (by the way, for the past three days I've been mostly bedridden) I have a night or two where I just don't sleep. It's not that I'm tired and I can't fall asleep, but that I don't feel like sleeping when there's so much else I could be doing. Most of the time I'll eventually fall asleep, but not until around five am. Usually this leads to me discovering something totally unknown to my brain. These overnight discoveries have included AVEN, transposing music, anime, the Vlogbrothers, and The Itty Bitty Kitty Committee. As you can see, the internet influences a lot of my discoveries :P And it sure did this time. I just watched all nine episodes of a webseries called Dating Rules from my Future Self, and I have to say, it was worth my time. 

So imagine you could send texts to your past self and keep yourself from making what you now know is the biggest mistake of your life. That's what Lucy gets to do- or, at least, her ten-years-in-the-future self does. At the beginning of the series, Present Lucy is still dating the guy she has been for the past four years, who just asked her to marry him. She begins to receive texts from Future Lucy telling her not to do it. She slowly begins to trust herself, both Present and Future, and starts taking control of her life more and becomes the person she wants to be. 

I loved the series. The writing wasn't very well done in my opinion. It was very predictable (though there were a couple of scenes that I should've seen coming but didn't). The overall theme was something done so many times that it literally made me groan. However, I still greatly enjoyed it. The guys were very nice to look at. It was funny. It was cute and happy. It reminded me of the Love Inspired books I used to read like my life depended on it. You know how the story's going to end (in the books, the two main characters will have a fallout about fifty pages from the end, they'll both realize it was a huge misunderstanding usually with the help of a third party, whichever character wasn't originally a devout Christian will become one, and the characters would get engaged and then get married in the epilogue), but you still love reading it because it's dependable and it makes you warm and fuzzy inside. 

I'm hoping that the ninth episode wasn't the end because I'd like to see Lucy blossom more (also Taylor Kinney's super cute). Unfortunately from the looks of it, it was. So I'd have to give the entire series an 8/10 because it could have used a few more twists. But that's just me :D

No comments:

Post a Comment