Saturday, December 10, 2011

This Song Saved My Life


I love this song. I love that it captures the way I feel about songs. Music really can change your outlook. It's nice to know that someone out there feels that way enough to write a song about it. It also helps to have a song that can put your feelings into words. And when that song takes the way you feel and makes you feel empowered about it... it's the best.

Some examples for me:
"Waldorf Worldwide" by Good Charlotte.
Freshman year, of course, was the first year I knew Bryar. One thing that we both shared was a deep passion for music. At the time, though, I didn't really know a lot of music. Bryar would send me YouTube videos of songs to listen to, and eventually he just lent me a string bag with about twenty CDs in it.
Whenever I was upset, I turned to him. He'd listen to me rant about whatever trivial or not so trivial thing that was affecting me. Sometimes he would know what to say. Other times he wouldn't, and he'd respond "Tell me how I can help you." I'd tell him, "Tell me it's going to be all right." And he would.
I was upset the night after he gave me the bag. I pulled a random CD out, put it into my CD player, and hit play. This was the song that played.
"March On" also became a fall-back song for me.


"Change" by Taylor Swift.
This one I discovered and fell in love with in middle school. At the time, I was being emotionally abused by my stepdad, and my best friend was being physically abused by his dad. Both of us felt belittled. He has a strong dislike towards Taylor Swift, so I never showed him this song. But it always made me think of the two of us one day fighting back. I did, he still hasn't taken the outs he's been offered. I guess it's a guy thing. I don't know.


"Somedays" by Regina Spektor.
I'm not even sure how to put my feelings for this song into words. Regina Spektor's voice is beautiful. I'm not one hundred percent sure what this song's even about, but it's still beautiful. And the beginning of the song "Some days aren't yours at all/They come and go as if they're someone else's days"... it's just great.


"Broken Hearts, Torn Up Letters, and the Story of a Lonely Girl" by LostProphets.
I freaking love LostProphets, especially the album this song is off of. I could easily put this entire album on this list. Easily. This song... "Girl you just can't dance forever/If you wanna make it better/Times like this won't last forever" When I'm upset, I listen to this at top volume and just let it be my thoughts. There's no room for anything else. I love this song. I would marry this song if that was possible. Hell, I'd have sex with this song.


And finally, somewhat of a joke, but I had to share this.
The song doesn't really matter. It's what happens about two minutes into the video. I laughed so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment